Home CalendarNewsSport News Gallery StaffContact
Telephone
Portadown: 028 3835 2222 
Lurgan: 028 3834 9222 
Library
Student Work
Scripture Union
School Brochure
 
English
Why study English?

Not surprisingly, GCSE English is one of those subjects that helps you gain confidence in reading and improve your written and oral skills. These skills are essential for all aspects of life. You will already be familiar with Speaking and Listening, Reading and Writing at Key Stage 3. GCSE English will build on these experiences and extend and develop your skills further.

How is GCSE English assessed?

You undertake two written exams worth 40% of the overall mark and a controlled assessment element that is worth the remaining 60%. There are two tiers of assessment for the written exams:

Foundation Tier Grades C - G inclusive
Higher Tier Grades A* - D

See table below for details.

What does the controlled assessment involve?

The controlled assessment consists of four components. The Speaking and Listening component is assessed by your English teacher during normal class time when you will be given lots of opportunities to participate in discussions, debates, presentations and drama activities. The remaining three components assess the Study of Spoken Language, Reading and Writing and are completed in class within a specific time limit and under formal supervision.

GCSE English is challenging but rewarding! The pupils who achieve the best grades are those who work hard throughout the two years, meet all the coursework deadlines and attend regularly. Make sure you are one of them!

What next?
A Grade C pass in English Language forms the basic requirement for a wide range of Post 16 courses at Further Education Colleges. It is often essential for progression to university and a number of careers.
Please click on the link below for further information.
English



How is GCSE English Assessed?

Controlled Assessment Terminal Examination Paper 1 Terminal Examination Paper 2 Weighting
Speaking and Listening 20% 0% 0% 20%
Study of Spoken Language 10% 0% 0% 10%
Reading 15% 10% 10% 35%
Writing 15% 10% 10% 35%
Overall Weighting 60% 20% 20% 100%
 
 © 2013 Craigavon Senior High. All Rights Reserved.