Why Study English Literature?
As well as complementing English Language and developing reading and analytical skills, English Literature will allow you to read a wide range of texts from a variety of periods.
You will enjoy this subject if:
• You are interested in reading novels, plays and poetry
• You enjoy discussing literary texts and forming your own opinions about them
• You are able to keep detailed notes
You will learn how these texts relate to the social, cultural and historical contexts in which they were written and how they can be interpreted in different ways by different readers.
How is GCSE English Literature assessed?
You undertake two written exams worth 80% of the overall mark and a controlled assessment element that is worth the remaining 20%.
Unit 1: The Study of Prose (30%)
You will study a novel in preparation for your GCSE Prose examination . This text is also used a stimulus for your GCSE Language Controlled Assessment. you will be asked to explore the characters, themes and contexts of the texts.
Unit 2(a): The Study of Drama (25%)
You will study a drama text in preparation for your GCSE examination. You may also use this text to complete another of your GCSE Language Controlled Assessments. As with the Prose unit, you will be asked to explore the characters, themes and contexts of the texts.
Unit 2(b): The Study of Poetry (25%)
You will study an anthology of fifteen poems from a choice of three set anthologies on the themes of Identity, Conflict or Relationships. You will answer an examination question based on two of the poems from your chosen anthology.
Unit 3: Controlled Assessment (20%)
The Study of Shakespeare. You will complete one task based on a Shakespearean play. This assessment may ask you to evaluate how Shakespeare has used language and staging to convey a particular character or theme.
Teachers will support and extend your knowledge and understanding in the classroom, through discussion, interactive whiteboard activities and through watching film and television adaptations or theatrical productions of the texts. Of course you will also be required to write about the texts you have studied!
How can GCSE English Literature benefit you?
The skills and knowledge gained in GCSE English Literature will help to prepare you for a range of further education courses and career options especially those related to marketing, law, teaching, journalism and the media. Please click on the link below for further information.