Why study English?
Not surprisingly, GCSE English is one of those subjects that helps you gain confidence in reading and improve your written and oral skills. These skills are essential for all aspects of life. You will already be familiar with Speaking and Listening, Reading and Writing at Key Stage 3. GCSE English will build on these experiences and extend and develop your skills further.
GCSE English is challenging but rewarding! The pupils who achieve the best grades are those who work hard throughout the two years, meet all the preparation deadlines and attend regularly. Make sure you are one of them!
How is GCSE English assessed?
You undertake two written exams worth 60% of the overall mark and a controlled assessment element that is worth the remaining 40%.
Unit 1: External Examination (30%)
Section A: Writing for Purpose and Audience e.g. magazine article, letter, speech
Section B:Reading Non-Fiction Texts e.g. analysing language features used by writers of blogs, travel writing, articles etc
Unit 4: External Examination (30%)
Section A: Personal or Creative Writing e.g. account, letter, article, speech, story
Section B: Reading Literary and Non-Fiction Texts e.g. analysing how language is used by writers of poetry and prose as well as of blogs, travel writing, articles etc
What does the controlled assessment involve?
The controlled assessment consists of three components which are completed in class within a specific time limit and under formal supervision.
Unit 2: Speaking and Listening (20%)
You will complete a range of Speaking and Listening tasks throughout your two years. These will either be group discussion, role-play or an individual presentation.
Unit 3(a): The Study of Spoken Language (10%)
You will listen to a variety of speeches, interviews, conversations, presentations and commentaries and consider how the speakers vary and adapt their language.
Unit 3(b): The Study of Written Language (10%)
You will read a novel or part of a novel focusing on how a writer develops characters and themes. You can use a text that you are studying for English Literature .
A Grade ‘C’ pass in English Language forms the basic requirement for a wide range of Post 16 courses at Further Education Colleges. It is often essential for progression to university and a number of careers.